The Plancius was originally built as a hydrographic research vessel in the service of the Dutch government. In 2007, the current owner purchased her and since then she has undergone a total refit and refurbishment to prepare her for carrying passengers on polar expeditions. All of the cabins have outside views and are comfortable and well-appointed with private facilities and all lower beds (either twin or double). All cabins have ample storage facilities and a writing desk and chair, as well as a flat screen TV for viewing movies. The Plancius is equipped with state-of-the-art safety systems, including new radar, communication, and other navigation equipment, as well as the most modern fire and flood prevention systems.
- Passenger Capacity: 110 passengers max
- Staff & Crew: 45
- Ice class: 1D
- Length: 89 metres (267 feet)
- Breadth: 14.5 meters (43 feet)
- Max Draft: 4.5 metres (15 feet)
- Speed: 10-12 knots maximum
Cabins & Amenities
- All cabins have exterior views (porthole or window) and private facilities
- Library stocked with polar books
- Observation lounge / Bar
- Adventure options on most departures
- Leica Akademie Photo Workshop
- Single Supplement is 1.7 times the standard rate.
- Mandatory Emergency Evacuation insurance is required. Airfare is not included in these prices.
- Adventure options must be pre-booked and paid for prior to start of the trip. Space is subject to availability. Some activities require experience.
- Camping – $170 per night, max 30 people
- Kayaking – $430 per trip, max 14 people
- Photo Workshop – $420 per trip or Free during “Basecamp Plancius” and Whales, Wildlife and Photography voyage.
- Max 14 people. All photo workshops are powered by renowned Leica Akademie.
- Trekking for skiers – $5750. Max 12 people
- All trips subject to possible fuel surcharge.